HOW CAN YOU HELP ANIMAL RESCUE?
HERE ARE 100 WAYS YOU CAN HELP ANIMAL RESCUE
For anyone out there who might have wanted to help rescue but just weren't
sure how. We're not asking for these things. These are just some
- Donate a dog bed or towels or other *bedding* type items?**
- Donate MONEY?
- Donate a Kong? A nylabone? A Hercules?
- Donate a crate?
- Donate an x-pen or baby gates?
- Donate a food dish or a stainless bucket for a crate?
- Donate a leash?
- Donate a collar?
- Donate some treats or a bag of food?
- Donate a halti or promise collar or a gentle leader?
- Walk a dog?
- Groom a dog?
- Donate some grooming supplies (shampoos, combs, brushes, etc.)?
- Go to the local shelter & see if that dog is the breed the shelter says
it is or go with
rescue to be a second opinion on the dog?
- Make a few phone calls?
- Mail out applications to people who've requested them?
- Provide local vet clinics w/contact info for educational materialsls on
responsible pet ownership?
- Drive a dog to and from vet appointments?
- Donate long distance calling cards?
- Donate the use of your scanner or digital camera?
- Donate the use of a photocopier?
- Attend public education days & try to educate people on responsible
- Donate a gift certificate to a pet store?
- Donate a raffle item if your club is holding a fund raiser?
- Donate flea stuff (Advantage, etc.)?
- Donate HW pills?
- Donate a canine first aid kit?
- Provide a shoulder to cry on when the rescue person is overwhelmed?
- Pay the boarding fees to board a dog for a week? Two weeks?
- Be a Santi-paws foster to give the foster a break for a few hours or days?
- Clip coupons for dog food or treats?
- Bake some homemade doggie biscuits?
- Make book purchases through Amazon via a web site that contributes commissions
earned to a rescue group?
- Host rescue photos with an information link on your website?
- Donate time to take good photos of foster dogs for adoption flyers, etc.?
- Conduct a home visit or accompany a rescue person on the home visit?
- Go with rescue person to the vet to help if there is more than one dog?
- Have a yard sale and donate the money to rescue?
- Be a volunteer to do rescue in your area?
- Take advantage of a promotion on the web or store offering a free ID tag
& instead of
getting it for your own dog, have the tag inscribed with your Club's name
& ph # to contact?
- Talk to all your friends about adopting and fostering rescue dogs?
- Donate vet services or donate a spay or neuter each year or some vaccinations?
- Interview vets to encourage them to offer discounts to rescues?
- Write a column for your local newspaper or club newsletter on dogs on dogs
looking for homes or ways to help rescue?
- Take photos of dogs available for adoption for use by the Club?
- Maintain web sites listing/showing dogs available?
- Help organize and run fundraising events?
- Help maintain paperwork files associated with each dog or enter info into
- Tattoo a rescued dog?
- Microchip a rescued dog?
- Loan your carpet steamcleaner to someone who fostered a dog that was sick
in the house?
- Donate a bottle of bleach or other cleaning products?
- Donate or loan a portable dog run to someone who doesn't have a
quarantine area for quarantining a dog that has an unknown vaccination
history and has been in a shelter?
- Drive fosters' children to an activity so the foster can take the dog to
- Use your video camera to film a rescue dog in action?
- Pay the cost of taking a dog to obedience class?
- Be the one to take the dog to its obedience class?
- Go to the foster home once a wk with your children & dogs to help socialize
- Help the foster clean up the yard (yes, we also have to scoop what foster
- Offer to test the foster dog with cats?
- Pay for the dog to be groomed or take the dog to a *Do It Yourself* Grooming
- Bring the foster take out so the foster doesn't have to cook dinner?
- Pay house-cleaning service to do spring cleaning for someone who fosters
- Lend your artistic talents to your club's newsletter, fundraising ideas,
- Donate printer paper, envelopes and stamps to your club?
- Go with a rescue person to the vet if a foster dog needs to be euthanized?
- Go to local shelters & meet w/shelter staff about how to identify your
breed or provide
photos & breed info showing the different types of that breed may come
in & the different color combinations?
- Go to local businesses and solicit donations for a club's fundraising event?
- Offer to try and help owners be better pet owners by holding a grooming
- Help pet owners be better pet owners by being avail to answer training questions?
- Loan a crate if a dog needs to travel by air?
- Put together an Owner's Manual* for those who adopt rescued dogs of your
- Provide post-adoption follow up or support?
- Donate a coupon for a free car wash, or gas, or inside cleaning of a vehicle?
- Pay for an ad in your local/metropolitan paper to help place rescue dogs?
- Volunteer to screen calls for that ad?
- Get some friends together to build/repair pens for a foster home?
- Microchip your own pups if you are a breeder, and register the chips, so
if your dogs ever come into rescue, you can be contacted to take responsibility
for your pup?
- Donate a small percentage of the sale of each pup to rescue if you are a
- Buy two of those really neat dog-items you "have to have" and
donate one to Rescue?
- Make financial arrangements in your will to cover the cost of caring for
your dogs after
you are gone - so Rescue won't have to?
- Make a bequest in your will to your local or national Rescue?
- Donate your professional services as an accountant or lawyer?
- Donate other services if you run your own business?
- Donate the use of a vehicle if you own a car dealership?
- Loan your cell phone (and cover costs for any calls) to someone driving
a rescued dog?
- Donate your *used* dog dryer when you get a new one?
- Let rescue know when you'll be flying & you'd be willing to be a rescue
- Donate a doggy seatbelt?
- Donate a grid for a van or other vehicle?
- Organize a rescued dog picnic or other event to reunite rescued dogs that
have been placed
- Donate other types of doggy toys that might be safe for rescued dogs?
- Donate a roll-a-treat or Buster cube?
- Donate clickers or a video on clicker training?
- Donate materials for a quarantine area at a fosters home?
- Donate sheets of linoleum or other flooring matls to put under crates to
protect fosters floor?
- Donate an engraving tool to make ID tags for each of the rescued dogs?
- Remember that rescuing a dog involves the effort and time of many people
and make yourself available on an emergency basis to do *whatever* is needed?
- Do something not listed above to help rescue?